Monday, May 20, 2013

Girls On The Run

I flew out west on Sunday so I had my last day of Girls on the Run on Thursday. I wanted to do a quick post with some of the pictures I took from last week and a little Girls on the Run recap. I started volunteering for Girls on the Run this spring after getting in touch with Sarah Perry, the woman who is in charge of the program at Flood Brook Union School. I enjoyed going back to the place where I spent kindergarden through 8th grade. Many of the same teachers still work there and it was fun to see some familiar faces among the mix of new faces. Girls on the Run is for 3rd-8th grade at Flood Brook and Sarah is doing an amazing job with a big group of girls consisting of a huge range of abilities. While we usually do a short pep talk at the beginning of practice, going over topics such as peer pressure, generosity, and health, our main focus is to get out the door and run. The girls participate in a 5k running race in mid June and the goal is to slowly build up their fitness throughout the spring so they're able to complete it when the time comes! We ran our first 5k the other day around the trails at Flood Brook and almost everyone made it! Some girls were probably able to run a 5k at the beginning of the spring, while others take turns walking a lap then running a lap, but they're all happy to be there and encourage each other along the way. On my last day, we made posters for a marathon feed station the girls were working at yesterday. Here are some photos from the day, and thank you to Sarah and all the girls for letting me be a part of it - I will miss you all!

The poster I made with Lilly

Add caption

Erika's piece of art



I'm currently in the Salt Lake airport because I missed my connection for Bend last night. Flights out of Boston were delayed so by the time I landed in SLC, my flight to Bend had already left. Luckily, one of my good friends, Parker Tyler, lives in SLC and was kind enough to let me stay at her house last night. Jessie also missed her connection so we had a slumber party. Thanks Parker and Hannah for letting us stay over! We're hoping to have a little more luck and arrive in Bend sometime today. Also, congrats to my cousin, Anya, for graduating from UNH this weekend!!!
Anya and Sver

Anya and some Caldwell cousins

1 comment: