Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Park City and New York City

Our first week of training in Park City was focused on volume, but during out second week of camp, we scaled back the volume a little in order to focus on intensity. One hard bounding session and three roller ski races later, we were tired and ready for an easy week. This was the first time we did a mini tour at our Park City camp and I think it was a really positive addition. You can't read into the roller ski races too much because 1. roller skiing is different than snow skiing, 2. each pair of rollerskis is different from every other pair, and 3. it's October and the end of a really big training camp. That said, it was good practice to put on a bib, push myself really hard, and try to remember what it felt like to race. I was happy with my race efforts and it was nice to end camp on a good note.
Happy ski in Park City with Annie


The end of a long, long ski (Simi photo)

Halfway through a long, long ski and still smiling! (Pat photo)

Heading out for a morning workout in our new L.L. Bean gear (Jessie photo)

Getting ready to head our for the running portion of our OD

2015/2016 USST (U.S. Ski Team photo)

The girls! (US. Ski Team photo)

Speedy group of girls doing the mini tour in Park City
After wrapping up Park City camp, I flew back east. Before heading home to Vermont, Simi and I went to New York City for a couple days to attend the ski ball. It's always really exciting for me to visit the city because it's so different from any other place I've lived in or traveled to. Three days in the city is the perfect amount for me. I get a little overwhelmed and am always ready to head to a quieter area, but I still love visiting. The ski ball was a beautiful event and we enjoyed spending time with other athletes and the supporters.
The athletes at the NYC Ski Ball (Jared Siskin/Patrick McMullan Photo)

NYC Ski Ball (Jared Siskin/Patrick McMullan photo)

Walking the runway at the ball! (Jared Siskin/Patrick McMullan photo)

NYC Ski Ball (Jared Siskin/Patrick McMullan photo)

NYC Ski Ball with Simi (Jared Siskin/Patrick McMullan photo)
After the ski ball, I hopped on the train and headed back to Vermont for exactly two weeks before flying to Europe. Apparently Vermont hasn't gotten the memo that it's late fall because the last few days have been sunny and 65 degrees. I'm not complaining though! It's been so nice to be back home training with my SMS T2 team and spending time with my family before heading overseas. We are having an SMS T2 send off dinner on November 8th and if you would like to attend, please email scaldwell@gosms.org. We also have a 25k matching grant and to donate, please visit https://smst2.wordpress.com/matching-grant-challenge/. Happy November!
Our new kitten, Bernie, trying to fit into a box with Leroy

Happy to be home!

Running through the woods with Iz

2 comments: